Sunday 29 December 2013

How To// Lilac Hair ft Bleach and Fudge

Hi guys! Long time (3 days) no speak! After doing blogmas, three days without blogging seems like forever haha! After dying my naturally dark blonde hair every colour from black to red to white to ombrè, I decided to take the plunge and go lilac. As of yesterday, I had dyed brunette hair so I knew to achieve the silver lilac shade I wanted, lots of products would be needed.
Want to know how to achieve this lilac hair in one night? Then keep reading!

If you've been a reader of my blog for a while now, you may of seen me mention my hair/beauty/fashion/general life icon; Lou Teasdale a few times (all the time). I know her style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love everything about her look, especially her hair! I decided to go lilac because I don't know anyone with that hair colour and the one thing I hate the most is being copied by my friends, I know it sounds petty, but I like to be individual at school and home, so I thought I could branch out with my hair! I know mine is currently a bit darker than Lou's is, but it is a semi permanent dye so it should fade to her colour after a few washes :)

The Colour
I used 3 products, all from Bleach London, to achieve the silver/ lilac colour I ended up with. My hair was a medium, box dyed brown when I began the process. I didn't take any pictures because I did it at night so there was no natural light to see the actual colour, but if you look at some of my earlier posts, you may be able to see the shade of brown it was. I began by using the Total Bleach kit (£7) which claims to lighten hair by up to 7 shades, and I definitely agree with this! I have quite long, thick hair so I needed 2 packets. It was so easy to mix, just powder and liquid which turns in to a non-drip formula. After about 40 minutes on, the result was very brassy and patchy, only because I didn't use a comb to even the bleach, so I would definitely reccomend using a wide toothed comb to distribute the product evenly thoughout.

To get rid of the brassy tones, I followed up with the White Toner (£7) and this elmininated most, but not all of the brassy tones. I left it on for about 20 minutes and about 60% of the yellowness had faded! but there were still some brassy tones in there, but nothing a bit of purple couldn't cover ;)

The final stage of the dying process was using the Bruised Violet Semi-Permanent Colour which is an absolute steal for just £5! It is thick and creamy in texture, coming out in blobs (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it....) I used about a golf ball sized amount and massaged it through towel dried hair as evenly as I could and left it on for about 5-6 minutes then washed it out until the water ran clear with a pink tint. This completely got rid of all the yellow tones. Make sure you shampoo your hair before applying this dye and not after. It says it only lasts for 2-10 washes so it should become a much more subtle colour in the upcoming weeks so I will keep you informed.

You can find Bleach London products exclusively at Boots, but see the full range and tutorials on their website here: www.bleachlondon.co.uk


The Care
After a lot of bleaching and colouring, my hair was feeling like straw, so I followed up with the Reincarnation Mask and this stuff is AMAZING! It's a deep conditioner so I left it on for about 30 minutes and it left my hair feeling like silk, I was really impressed. Not only did I get 3 mini bottles which each pack of bleach, but I also got the full size bottle so my hair will be in good condition for months! An essential fork keeping brassy tones at bay in light blonde hair is a silver shampoo and conditioner, they neutralise all the yellow tones. I picked up the ones from the Bleach London range because it was 3 for 2. I am so happy I did because you can really see the difference when you use them. These, combined with the white toner will cancel out any unwanted yellow shades.


The Style
Finally, for my hair style, I prefer something a bit messy with a lot of texture. Lou Teasdale just happens to be the embassador for a hair styling/care brand called Fudge so you can only imagine how happy I was when the entire range was on offer at Superdrug with 1/3 off! I got the Texture Blaster a few weeks ago and I've used it every day so now I swear by it! I spray this at my roots and use my fingers to rub it in, and you can instantly see the difference. My hair is normally flat to my head, but this product gives me so much volume.

My mum obviously picked up on my new favourite product and bought me Sea Salt Spray from the same range and I really love this stuff! I spritz it on my hair when it's damp and go a bit scrunching mad, then let my hair dry naturally. I then spray on a bit more when it's dry and do a bit more scrunching the achieve that 'beachy' look.

Last but certainly not least, I use the the Iced Coconut Cocktail Hairspray and it was love at first sight (smell?!). For one, the packaging is absolutely lush! The product itself it amazing, providing hours of hold without being crunchy. But the best thing about this product is definitely the smell! Oh my lord this makes your hair smell like coconuts and tropical fruits all day long and I got so many compliments (from family, not strangers sniffing my hair..)

You can find Fudge Urban products at Superdrug, or see all of their products and offers on their website here: www.fudgehair.co.uk


Ok so I hope this was helpful for anyone who is looking to try lilac hair or have been looking at bleach or fudge products, feel free to ask me any questions!

Jess x


3 comments:

  1. Your hair looks great! I was wondering, I am in need of a really good Hairspray since the L'oreal ones don't really work with my hair; do you find the fudge one keeps your hair in place for a long time still looking great? I also really want one which will keep my hair looking the same even when I use heat on it; do you recommend the hairspray? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Yes it's such a great hairspray it kept mine in a quiff at the front all day with just one hair grip haha! Xx

      Delete
  2. I know this is an old post but I bookmarked it because I have been thinking of going lilac myself and wanted to remember the products! I've watched a few tutorials and I'm no expert but I think the reason your hair came out most purple than lilac is because you put the purple dye straight onto your hair. To get a more lighter shade you're meant to mix it with a conditioner to lighten it up a good bit! Just to help out in case you decide to do it again in the future!

    x

    ReplyDelete